Since the early stages of the Swiss internet, SWITCH has been entrusted with a key task as the ICT services provider for Swiss universities: the foundation acts as a domain name registry, managing all domain names with the .ch ending in the global Domain Name System (DNS). SWITCH carries out this task on behalf of the Federal Office of Communications OFCOM.
The work of a domain name registry carries significant responsibility, as the DNS is an essential precondition for a functioning internet. The Federal Council numbers the internet among Switzerland's "critical infrastructures". The DNS for .ch is an invisible yet hugely important service, without which almost no communication could take place in Switzerland. As an independent foundation, SWITCH puts its significant technical expertise to work to fulfil this demanding task, ensuring that the .ch Top Level Domain is one of the most secure in the world.
SWITCH's tasks as a registry
- Maintenance of the central database of all .ch domain names
- Operation of the Domain Name System (DNS) for the Top Level Domain .ch
- Support for DNSSEC
- Assistance for our registrars
- Commitment to a safer internet: active combating of cybercrime
- Operation of a dispute resolution service
- Cooperation with authorities and public and federal offices
- Maintenance of international contacts; representation of Swiss interests
Annual reports of the registry